Tablet PC Program
What is a 1:1 Tablet Computer Program?
A one-to-one program puts a Tablet PC in the hands of each student in the program. A Tablet PC is a laptop plus much more. A Tablet PC allows the student to write, edit, or draw directly on the screen with a digital pen. With the digital pen, a tablet user can jot quick notes, draw diagrams, or write formulas without the constraints of a keyboard or mouse. Documents, such as teacher handouts, can be annotated quickly, using any color ink or highlighter—just by using the digital pen. Notes are easier to take, easier to search, and easier to organize. With a tablet program, teachers are able to integrate the many software programs available to the various academic disciplines as well as having the ability to seize the “teachable moment” for spontaneous classroom work involving computer technology.
What is Guardian Angels 1:1 Tablet PC Program?
Guardian Angels School began phasing in the one-to-one Tablet PC program in October of 2011 beginning with the 6th Grade, Class of 2014. 7th Grade, Class of 2013 was then implemented in January, 2012. Starting in School Year 2012-2013 all 6th through 8th Grade students now use a PC tablet.
The tablet program naturally aligns with GA’s educational philosophy of meeting each child at his or her individual strengths and needs. With a tablet program, teachers are able to integrate the many software programs available to the various academic disciplines as well as having the ability to seize the ‘teachable moment’ for spontaneous classroom work involving computer technology.
Benefits of Guardian Angels 1:1 Program
- Organization–No need for multiple notebooks and textbooks; no more lost papers or backpacks that weigh a ton. Notes can be organized and searched, and students can keep a copy of their homework even after they have turned it in.
- Digital ink–Write, edit and draw directly on the screen with a digital pen while sitting, walking, standing. Jot quick notes without running a special program. Draw images, diagrams, formulas without the constraints of a keyboard and mouse.
- Collaboration—Easy file sharing for group projects and multimedia presentations. Participate in online discussion groups which encourage reserved students to have a voice. Do online research in the classroom at the “teachable moment.”. Compose and edit writing more efficiently both in and out of class.
- High School Preparation—Guardian Angels graduates will be technologically ahead of their peers as they enter high school where 1:1 programs have been in existence or are being initiated.
The Tablet PC program operates in the following manner:
- Students are provided a Tablet PC by Guardian Angels School through Cincinnati Public School auxiliary funds and other technology funding through Annual Fund.
- Tablet PCs are loaded and configured over the summer with standard software, textbooks, organizational software, etc.
- Students & Parents attend an orientation and training session before the start of school to review and sign the PC Table Acceptable Use Policy and the Acceptance of Liability. Use and care for the tablet are also covered with parents and students.
- Teachers use Microsoft OneNote which eliminates requirements for hard-copy binders.
- Students bring their Tablet PCs to school everyday, fully charged.
- Students and teachers use Tablet PCs throughout the school day as appropriate (not in use at all times).
- Teachers control and monitor tablet use in the classroom using monitoring software.
- The same internet filtering software used at school is installed on the student tablet. When students access the internet outside of school, they are directed through the GA filtering software provided by HCCA.
- Students use Tablet PCs around school using the GA wireless network, at home, and “on the go” for completing assignments.
- The Tablet PC Helpdesk is available in Computer Lab A Monday – Friday from 7 a.m – 3:30 p.m. for student and teacher assistance, as well as repairs.
- The Tablet PC Helpdesk does NOT support home printers, home networks, or home security issues.
- “Loaner” tablets will be available when student Tablet PCs are being repaired.